Tuesday, October 25, 2005

so, you say you're a stay at home mom

I guess the term stay-at-home-mom is about as oxymoronic as the 40-hour work week.
the more coined phrases i consider, the more i laugh aloud to myself...
but stay-at-home-mom might be the most absurd that i've ever heard...
there is essentially no such thing.
the SAH mom, we'll call her from now on, is never home. she fills up her gas tank 3 times a week, at least. she has changes of clothes for all seasons and all sizes in the back of her suv or minivan at all times. she is prepared at the drop of a hat to go... anywhere with anyone if it touches the life of her child. she spends virtually no time AT HOME, with the exception of the occasional day trip home to retrieve whatever may have been forgotten that morning in the mad dash to the carpool dropoff line...and then again at homework/dinner/bath time when she sweeps through the halls picking up various discarded debris littering the house in the form of dirty clothes, soccer cleats and portions of homework sheets.
the day winds down, she lovingly embraces the babies she guides through life, she kisses her husband with the passion of the newlywed years, and eventually becomes a true SAH mom... while she sleeps, until she wakes to start the whole stay-at-home thing all over again...
i think i'll go get ready for work....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am proud to be the 1st person to post on your blog!

My sister is a stay-at-home mom. I'm sure she would love your post and really really relate to it. :)

Anonymous said...

I too am proud to be one of your first to post on your blog.

Being a stay-at-home mom has been the greatest joy and the hardest job I've ever been blessed to do. I take great pride in being hands on with my kids but also feel lucky because I realize it's a gift to be in the position to do so. Now that my 3rd child is in school full time, 8am to 3pm, I'm working full time and I feel like I'm forgetting something all the time because my days are easier. I go to lunch each day and I'm eating at the same pace as others. That's down right freaky! I miss my kids during school days but welcome this new chapter in my life with gratitude. I share in your joy of feeling blessed.

iv said...

That whole "kissing your husband with the passion of a newlywed" stuff... You made that up, right?

Anyway... You girls are better than we are. Not "better at what you do" than we are - though that's true, too - you're just plain better people.

If not for grace, I'd say there would only be females in heaven. Females and chickens. Chickens are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for moms!

Since I only see you when we pass in the halls, this will be a good way to know what's going on in your life. Say.....was that a post by Billy Ivey(Ivy?) a former crush of mine? That's just plain nutty if it was.

Anonymous said...

Is there some way to edit my comments? Regret...Besides, I think I figured out it wasn't my jr. high crush...okay, h.s. crush. The world must not be that nutty after all.

Anonymous said...

Holster the lipstick jwb...

to steal all the thunder from robyn and make this the i had a crush on billy site is just wrong...

anyway, I saw him last so he's my crush...

Anybody else want a piece of me?

iv said...

Guess what, girls? This is NOT the same Billy Ivey you might be thinking of... Now, I weigh close to 220 pounds, I've got gray hair(s)... and I eat in the cafeteria at Samford University almost every day.

For a "picture" of me now, go to http://www.ivwrites.com/2005/04/my-waistline-and-he-teats.html

April... I've been thinking about you guys. Congratulations! If I were allowed to have a crush, you'd probably be her.

Robin... You have more comments on your blog (after 4 days) than I have received in 2 years. Thanks for reminding me that I suck.

JWB... I cannot think of anything resembling "clever" to say.